Tuesday, November 23, 2021

A Second Edition Memory of a First Edition Love,

 


Linking with Word Garden Word List
It is prompt #1
so come be one of the first ones to join in the fun!
Thank you Shay for creating such a much needed prompt!!


Your memory is a dark-haired trespasser

Inviting yourself every time

There is champagne and cigarettes

and my withering heart

You light mine with yours

And those same feverish eyes

So the room fills with smoke

And I can no longer see 

To walk away steadily

So I wrap my arms around yesterday

As precariously as a feather on a boa

Vienna was 20 hotels ago

Yet your kiss as close as a pocket

and the mournful nearness of morning 

when you had to say goodbye.



5 comments:

  1. You might want to check your link, Carrie. To comment, I had to hit the main blog title and then back to the comments for this. The page as linked would not let me comment.

    But your poem! It evokes not only an emotion--or several at once!--but a period in time, which is in perfect keeping with the Fitzgerald source. I am so glad you chose to be part of my first word list prompt and tickled that you wrote this beauty for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps--your link from Word Garden is fine. It's the Facebook link that's funky.

      Delete
  2. I love this Carrie. You find Fitzgerald's flavor in these words, which are really words we use every day, and make them redolent of that particular past. I especially love the feather on a boa, and Vienna 20 hotels ago. Really excellent work with the list, and an excellent poem in its own right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you threaded all the words like a shot! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth