Saturday, December 19, 2020

Ballads Full of Whiskey & of Rain

 

Laura Nyro

Linking today with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 139
Hosted this week by the utterly amazing talent Shay!


Life is but a mingled song,
Sung in divers keys;
Sweet and tender, brave and strong,
As the heart agrees.
~S.J. Adair Fitz-Gerald (1859–1925)

 

Life is an old songstress

she sings in ballads full of whiskey and blue skies

so the moon always slow dances

with the oceans in my eyes

my heart is the drummer

that keeps me on a subtle beat

but my love gets so drunken

I always fall at life’s bare feet

so I move to the melody and I pray with the hymn

yet in the cadence of everyday

 I stumble for wild hearts and straight gin

you see life is an old songstress

she sings to me in ballads full of whiskey and of rain

and I am learning to sing her chorus and know when to refrain.




17 comments:

  1. I love getting to the refrain of whiskey and rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are magic, as always, Carrie. Life is indeed a songstress, from love ballads to war chants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That ending, though. Slyly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you dance you have a way with me, swing with me, sway with me....

    Love your poem, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you see life is an old songstress
    and I am learning to sing her chorus
    and know when to refrain

    Wonderful write Carrie! One may make the discovery in time but in most instances it can be just too late!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gorgeous. I absolutely love this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A song about singing, a song about singers, and full of the rhythm that makes music run in our blood. Loved it, Carrie--especially "..the moon always slow dances/with the oceans in my eyes.."

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautifully executed poem. It sings...it's the refrain that adds the punch..

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many wonderful lines .... whiskey and blue skies, the slow dancing moon, oceans in my eyes.....lovely poetry. Happy Holidays, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We learn as you do, to listen to her songs and sway in the beat.
    Merry Christmas. Thanks for dropping by to read mine

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  11. " my love gets so drunken / I always fall at life’s bare feet" - Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice, Carrie. I hadn't noticed the whiskey when I was reading before.
    Whiskey, Blue Skies or Rain
    To her it's all the same
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I danced and sang through this poem. What a beautiful way to write life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful Carrie. So full of imagery, and the beat of living. Thank you for cluing me to this week’s prompt. I love Laura. Among her many, she wrote one of my favorite songs of all time, “Up On The Roof”. When I hear it, especially in her voice, I drift away to a place of spectacular, rich, beautiful melancholy — my favorite state of mind in which to write. It was a joy to write a piece, and link it — which I just did... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carol King and Gerry Goffin wrote “Up On The Roof”, I know that. I meant to say Laura sang my favorite version, of this favorite song of mine... Xmas fatigue...

    ReplyDelete
  16. "so the moon always slow dances

    with the oceans in my eyes"

    Gorgeous writing, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth