Sunday, July 17, 2022

Lost Is a Place with Broken Wings,

 


When I was a little girl, I lost my silly star-studded sunglasses in the booth of a Big Boy restaurant in Dallas.  I still remember the feeling that hit me when I realized they were not still on my head as we got back in the car.  In tears, I begged my daddy to go back in to retrieve them, and even though he did, I still remember that distant memory vividly.  Some things no matter how small they are, stick with you like a silken slip on a July day.  The feeling of loss can have a mighty punch; one that we can never forget.

Lost is a place with broken wings

Like an injured bird where it does not belong

And once you have lingered there long enough

You forget you could fly all along

I searched for you in reflections

Not just mirrors but the eyes of the old

In their grief and brilliant memories

I heard your voice in each story told

Lost is a place with no directions

Yet signs around every bend

When you are staring hard into yesterday

Today gets blown away in the wind

I lost you one summer morning

Before winter was due to unfold

Now I only remember August

As a summer that was way too cold

For lost is a place with broken wings

Like an injured bird where it does not belong

And once you have lingered there long enough

You forget you could fly all along.



Photography by Rodney Smith


Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 219

This week we are remembering a dear Muse friend Beverly who has recently passed.  Rest in peace dear Bev. 💖









13 comments:

  1. So achingly beautiful "For lost is a place with broken wings
    Like an injured bird where it does not belong", and the loss that renders August cold. So powerful, Carrie, and the repeated lines reinforce the message so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one!!

    "For lost is a place with broken wings

    Like an injured bird where it does not belong"

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Carrie, and the older we get the more we lose. Copid to this fully vaccinated and bolstered one, lost several items for me. I can't smell or taste, I'm still coughing, and my memory has lost ability to remember names of people, places and items. Other items because of age or injury.
    A beautiful write, I couldn't help but think of Beverly and our loss of her as a friend.
    And there's selfus acts such as google has done to her and me and others. It's a power grab, it wants control of my blogs, my youtube, and my Yahoo accounts.
    ..
    Jim,
    jimmiehov6.blogspot.com
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Lost is a place with broken wings" - indeed. And so much we've lost, and forgetting we can still fly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful poem of loss. I will keep a copy of this one and with your permission and at a later date write a cento to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of a Rod McKuen poem I have somewhere, but can't seem to find on line. It ended like this, as i recall:

    Empty is the eyes of women when everything has been taken from them.

    Empty?

    Don't talk to me about empty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is full of amazing imagery and the stomach-dropping sense of loss grows with each turn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this may be one of my favorite poems that I've read in quite a long time, Carrie. I love it.

    Sincerely,
    David [ben Alexander]
    http://skepticskaddish.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. And once you have lingered there long enough
    You forget you could fly all along.

    A great close Carrie! Very true! Once he comfort zone has been breached it is plain lazy to try to get out of it. Blame it on human nature!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Carrie, your poem is 'every person's poem' ... how utterly and profoundly this touches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful and lyrical poem Carrie. So touching and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel such poignance permeating this, Carrie. That raw pain that just keeps coming at you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was so taken with the first line of this poem. A chilling sadness in summer.

    ReplyDelete

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth