Saturday, April 15, 2023

Stepchild's Heart

 

The stepchild in me learned so much I never asked to know.

Misery has a way of sharing its cookies.

The ones that taste like circus clowns’ shoes instead of the sweet vanilla circus animal ones.

Some secrets are well known.

Others are hidden deep,

 like pennies and bauble charms at the bottom of a well.

Carelessness and wishful thinking don’t always get you too far in the right direction.

No matter who you are!

You learn that one after the fall from the trapeze, not just sitting to watch the show.

Silence was my virtue; my circus act that I knew many a man could not have done.

For I was never a spokesperson for anyone until poetry spoke to me.

Giving me gauze, tape, and scissors for a wound that should have been healed.

A hurt that should have never been.

Eventually I moved, I was gone like an Oldsmobile and a teenager at the wheel.

Singing the lyrics to Birdland by Patti Smith I loaded up my car.

Little did I know as I backed out of the drive,

I brought everything I had meant to leave behind.


Linking with Shay's Word Garden Word List.  This week she is featuring Cathy Day and her Book The Circus in Winter.  

Come join us!

Also linking with the Muse.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, i feel this one...the silent watcher, the hurt that should not have been.....and then the being gone like an oldsmobile with a teenager at the wheel. I left via marriage.....another kind of fated and dismal trip. Thankfully we both arrived intact thanks to poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is a marvellous poem Carrie. I've read it a couple of times....in spite of your suffering you have emerged a kind and lovely person...and nothing is better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every thing like possessions owned, or like the things that bugged beneath the skin? I'm thinking the latter. I like to see how the prompters handle the prompts, you did well for me with this one. And you introduced Patti to me, I hadn't read or known of listening to her, I didn't know her name if I knew any of her work.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie!

    This:

    "Giving me gauze, tape, and scissors for a wound that should have been healed."

    Is perfection. No, actually... the whole poem is perfection.

    With deep respect,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, Carrie ... this one hits deep ... as deep as it can go. Love that you posted for your loyal subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A deep and heartfelt poem. That last line is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. Those secret sufferings seem to follow us and are so hard to leave behind. Excellent poem and lovely to read you again, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thankful for the diverse range of topics you cover, keeping it fresh and interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth