Monday, July 9, 2018

Meaningful Conversations


Linking with Imaginary Gardens for the Tuesday Platform and The Sunday Muse
Come join us!


Ideas, like ghosts (according to the common notion of ghosts), must be spoken to a little before they will explain themselves... ~Charles Dickens


I never believed in ghosts as a child
even though my grandmother seemed to
 have meaningful conversations with them
I told God early "never give me that gift!"
as if it was something that I had a say in
now that I am older
I long for the proof of it
a glimpse of something unseen
a testimony that is louder
than the possible vague siting
on some show on TV
I dare you to walk through me
wake me up at night
with the moan from a thousand lost cares
speak to me
I will listen
I will believe now
your story will live on
and it will be true poetry.

©Carrie Van Horn 2019

11 comments:

  1. This is a poem to sit with for a moment and think about--what changes that the things we dream about or were afraid of as a child are now the things we don't need or would like to experience? Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. be careful what you wish for - for not all ghosts have pleasantries or words of wisdom to impart!

    (these are the first thoughts musings that reach out in my mind) ~ yet, for those gifted, or cursed, they too understand the subtleties of a soul yearning for answers, even as adult minds desire concrete answers -
    interesting image and interpretation of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so relate to this poem. My grandma loved telling ghost stories. I was always afraid to see one. But now, for seven years, I have so longed for a visit from a dear furry ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is great and shows the changes we can go through as we mature. As a child you didn't want the 'gift' but now as an adult, you'd like to know for certain that we survive physical death. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, o loved reading this. A grandfatherly gift is the gullible grandchild. They believe almost everything their grandparents tell them. Legends and superstitions are favored. I hope your turn will come.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. How certain we are as children of what we do not want. I would consider it a miracle, but don't really know how I would react. Great poem, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent poem. I have only seen a ghost once in my life and it scared the bejabberz out of me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that the adult wants to experience what was once feared, as proof that it exists.. a validation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful summoning and testament, evidence that the child has become more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dare you to walk through me
    wake me up at night
    with the moan from a thousand lost cares

    A call unlikely to be fulfilled unless he takes up the challenge! A good twist aptly supported by an appropriate picture, Carrie!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not believe in them, yet I have seen them...perhaps they are just what is left over, at that time of death. For a while we saw them often at Christmas time, we don't see them much anymore? I wonder...is it something I have done?

    ReplyDelete

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth